[guispeak] Re: communicating with someone on aol -- anyone else have this problem?

  • From: Andy Baracco <wq6r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:53:21 -0800

Sounds like a typical AOL user.

Andy
At 09:30 PM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
Hi all --
I am wondering if anyone else has had funny communication problems with people on aol?
I recently sent an email to someone who wanted to learn some basics of html to write a little web page, so I sent a link to a tutorial and also a little list of simple tags and settings.
Now I spent a lot of time putting it all together, but when he received it he was unable to make heads or tails of it as all the html in the message had been translated away by his mail client.
It was actually turned into a little web page!
Now I checked my outgoing mail settings and they were set to always send plain text, as many of the blindness lists I'm on have peole who flame at html messages as they are using braille or old screen readers, or whatever and prefer text.
So I thought that aol would also treat it as plain text.
I asked my friend if he would look at his own mail options but to my amazement, aol has no way of specifying any!
Anyway, I concluded that the only way I could communicate this info was by attachment of a text file, but my friend is a little paranoid of opening attachments, and so he refused. So I was stuck.
I tried to explain that a single text file attachment from a known person was safe, but he simply didn't understand mail issues or file associations enough to believe me and it was a matter of principle...
Anyway, I don't like to flame about him, that's his opinion -- but I do wish aol would allow some control over mail specs. There's no way around this --
but actually I did have him open the mail in notepad and he saw a truely unwieldy bunch of half translated html that he thought was interesting, so it at least was a little educational.
I wish that after spending so much time typing the little tutorial he would have considered opening it, but that's the way it is.
Anyway, thought I'd flame a little. But since the post on web inaccessibility has been circulating, I thought I'd add that aol is still a real barrier to accessibility and communication.
Take care and let me know if you have any similar experience or suggested workarounds.
--le