[guidedogchat] Re: bells

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:04:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, Pam,

I don't know whether bells are bad for the dog's hearing, but I don't use them
because the dog's hearing is so much more sensitive than mine, I worry that it
could be so. Also, they could stop the dog hearing things that could be useful
to hear at some vital moment.

I did use a bell when I first free ran my dog, and I must say they made a
piercing enough noise that I could hear them in woodland with undergrowth, and
so I can see the advantage in a situation like that, maybe using a different
collar.

And, like others here, a bell would drive me daft if it was on the dog much of
the time, so I['ll manage without it.

The bellI used to have found a good home with another guide dog owner who had a
retired dog as well as a working one. My old bell sounded different enough to
differentiate between the dogs.

Vince.

Message Received: Aug 24 2014, 03:43 PM
From: "Pam"
To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: [guidedogchat] bells

hi all
ok this might sound like a strange question but i have a friend who leaves the
play collar with bell on all the time when the dog isn't working, but recently
he's been told by someone that having the bell on all the time is bad for the
dog's hearing. does anyone know if this is actually true? thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone