[guide.chat] episode 26 of Mary Jane

  • From: "Jenny Mock" <r.mock356@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:45:42 +0100

On Tuesday afternoon Sarah brought Ellis out for me to walk, I had to put
Greeta into the bedroom so she would not be a problem with Ellis, we went for a
walk and I told The trainer that I had met Ellis when he was just about eight
weeks old , she said he was a big puppy now, as indeed he was, we had a walk
and got on well together, she told me that the class would be in about three
weeks but I had arranged to go on holiday for a week the first week of
class,the training manager said it would be a good idea for me to have  a
holiday as it would give me chance to get over Greeta, I went to North Wales
for a week and  when I came back I went on class the next day , Ellis was
bought to me and we were given time to bond a little before we started our
training, he was the easiest dog I ever had, he was good in training and when I
got home it was just like he had always been there, I worked Ellis until he was
five and a half  going out and giving talks and fund raising  until I
discovered he was not working as he should , he used to get about two feet away
from the edge of the kerb and then freeze, I knew he had arthritis and thought
it was because of that, then discovered that it was because he was going blind,
of course he had to retire at five and a half because of this, soon after we
moved to Castle Carey we took him to the field which was near our house and he
was walking along when he thought he saw something but didn't know what it was,
he made himself very big and started to grumble then he realized what he
thought was another dog was actually a drinking trough for the cows that they
sometimes had in the field and when he realized what it was he walked away very
embarrassed , he was a real trooper as he walked the streets of Yovil when we
were looking for a new property so we could move from Barnstaple, Stokes had
been taken back at the time as he was causing a problem and decided he did not
want to work for me, I had him for a few years but of course he had other
ideas. after a few months of living in Castle Carey Stokes was brought back to
me but he went straight to Lofty and did not want to know me at all, of course
I battled on with him for another year before I contacted guide dogs to tell
them that they had to do something about him as he just did not want to work
and one day he bounced he off the corner of a building and I landed flat on my
back, some one of the public came and asked me if I wanted some help as it
didn't look as if the dog was doing anything for me, that was the time I
thought I had better contact guide dogs, I rang Sam and he asked me why I had
not contacted him before, I told him I was trying to make things work but it
was no good, well you should have rung me earlier he said, well he came to see
me and retired Stokes on the spot even though he was only five years old,
Stokes went back to his puppy walkers and last Christmas I heard from them and
he was 13 years old,
kind regards from Jenny Ray and  doggies skype name jenny.mock97