[guide.chat] Lefthanded Folks

  • From: "clare moulds" <clare@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:34:59 -0000

Good afternoon all. I'm shocked to hear what they used to do to left handed
people at school in those days. I'm also left handed so a good thing I wasn't
around then. Also shocking to hear of the horrible teachers and punishments.
Again I realise how lucky I was to have escaped all that. I went to mainstream
schools as my parents didn't want to send me away to school they wanted me at
the same schools as my sister and yes they were certainly very lucky they had
that choice. They weren't the happiest days of my life as I was bullied a lot.
Despite all that though I passed all my exams and also I feel in some ways
going through that awful experience made me a stronger person and able to stand
up for myself when needed. I had my own personal support tutor for my work but
I think the sighted kids mistakenly thought she was helping me and doing my
work for me which of course she wasn't. She was a special one to one tutor for
me who also did my books in braille. She also put my work into print so the
teachers could read it as I had to do all my work on a Perkins brailler back
then as didn't have a computer so you can imagine how hard work it was both for
me and my special tutor. She had to transcribe everything I wrote. I didn't get
a computer till I was at college doing business studies at 16. Well that's some
of my school experience. Love Clare