[guide.chat] In Reply To: Jim

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jan" <j.jk.downes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "chat guide" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:38:51 +0100

Hi, Jan,
Torch is a Christian group, originally started by sighted people as an
'outreach' to blind people.
Now, however, it is run predominantly by blind people for blind people. They
offer a wide range of magazines on tape, CD, etc, a talking book library,
publications in braille and large print, and an excellent web site
www.torchtrust.org
They also oversee fellowship and book groups, locally run groups where blind
Christians of all denominations can feel comfortable together.
Torch also tries to help blind people, especially children, in sub-Saharan
African countries.
They also have a short, 15 minute radio programme on UCB, Insight, Transworld
radio - as well as Premier, which you should have on your DAB Radio, or on
Freeview.
The programme is on Premier on Sundays at 4 PM, and covers disability issues,
not only those affecting blind people.
It is hosted by Marilyn Baker, who some may know as a popular singer/songwriter
of Christian music. Marilyn has been totally blind since birth.