[guide.chat] In Reply To: In Reply To: My Club today

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "John Keel" <j.keel1428@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Antony Butler" <antonybutler1958@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:57:38 +0100

Hi, John;
You haven't been to the right Blind Club, then!
I'd agree with you that many clubs are run by well meaning, but inexperienced,
sighted volunteers.
Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but most - though not all -Blind Clubs I've come
across up here are well run affairs. My own club is an example.
We - that is, five Visually Impaired People - set it up in our semi-rural area
twenty five years ago to help the situation of VIPs in the area.
We offer a range of speakers, entertainment, outings and activities chosen by
the members, for the members.

     The club is run by a committee of seven - at least five of whom, including
the Chairman and Vice-Chairman - must be visually impaired.
As a rule, we tailor activities to suit even the most disabled member, who at
this time happens to be our chairman, a lady who is both totally blind and
wheelchair bound, with restricted tactile abilities.
This has not cramped our style in the least - we're invading the highlands en
masse shortly on a holiday crammed with activities we will all take part in.

Of course, we are very grateful for those who help us, but, in essence, we, the
V.I. members, always call the shots.
We're also busy campaigning and taking part in local government consultative
committees which make both local authorities and the community in general aware
of V.I. issues; we have had quite a few successes on that front over the years.

Our club, therefore, is a blend of organised insanity, informative input and
bloody-minded stubbornness when it comes to authority.
Not a bad mixture, on the whole!