[greenbuild] Suggestions for road surface?

  • From: Joe Nolan <jnolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:04:32 -0400

We have a (currently gravel) 1/2 mile road. The graveling seems like a lot
of ongoing maintenance, expensive over the long term, while asphalt or
sprayed oils seem pretty un-green. I'm thinking maybe brick would be
greenest option due to its durability, despite the embodied energy. Not
sure, but brick may be prohibitively expensive, even using our own labor.
What about salvaging broken concrete or other materials? Any ideas?

Thanks.