[gptalk] Re: permissions and gpos

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:13:46 -0500

From what you explained in your first post it sounds like you are trying
to deny computer policy from being applied based on a group of user
accounts. If that is the case, it won't work.

When group policy processes computer configuration settings, it doesn't
care what user is logged on. It is running under the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
principal which is the equivalent of the computer's object in AD
(COMPUTERNAME$). So, you would need to deny a security group containing
the computer objects, not users.

If you're trying to get certain user policies to apply based on the
computer they're logging into, you need to look into enabling loopback
processing mode. This is common for lab, kiosk, and terminal server
scenarios, and since you mentioned a "lab" OU, it might be what you're
after.

Jamie Nelson | Operations Consultant | BI&T Infrastructure-Intel | Devon
Energy Corporation | Work: 405.552.8054 | Mobile: 405.200.8088 |
http://www.dvn.com <http://www.dvn.com/>