[gptalk] Re: gptalk Digest V1 #21

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:37:08 -0700

The only minor clarification I'll make here is that the "Always use Local
ADMs" policy is only respected by Win2003. That means, if you're editing
GPOs from XP, that policy is ignored. Don't ask me why--they never
back-ported it XP.

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:15:17 -0500
From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
I have just been informed that our DCs are scheduled to be upgraded to
Windows 2003 service pack 1.  I run the GPMC on a Windows XPsp2 PC.  As long
as I only use an XPsp2 machine to run the GPMC I should not have any
problems, correct? It is only if I run the GPMC from the DC that my ADM
templates would get updated.  I just want to be sure that I don't have to
worry about my current settings getting overwritten.  Thanks for your help.
Mary Collingwood

From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: Windows 2003 sp1
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:24:39 -0700

Mary-
That is correct. In any case, if some GPOs do get upgraded, the difference
between the 2003, SP1 and XP,SP 2 ADMs are negligible anyway (see
www.gpoguy.com/admdiffs.htm for details).