[gptalk] Re: gptalk Digest V1 #21

  • From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 07:21:43 -0500

Thanks Darren.
I know that there are only a few settings added with sp1 but the entire
ADM template would overwrite the one I have if I ran GPMC from the
server.  The one I'm concerned about is the inetres.adm.  Eventually I
will need to incorporate the changes into my production ADM(XPsp2).  Am
I wrong in thinking that I will have to reset every setting in the new
ADM? Or has Microsoft provided a way to import the current settings into
the newer ADM?
Thanks for your help.
Mary

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:15:17 -0500
From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
I have just been informed that our DCs are scheduled to be upgraded to
Windows 2003 service pack 1.  I run the GPMC on a Windows XPsp2 PC.  As
long as I only use an XPsp2 machine to run the GPMC I should not have
any problems, correct? It is only if I run the GPMC from the DC that my
ADM templates would get updated.  I just want to be sure that I don't
have to worry about my current settings getting overwritten.  Thanks for
your help.
Mary Collingwood

From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gptalk] Re: Windows 2003 sp1
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:24:39 -0700

Mary-
That is correct. In any case, if some GPOs do get upgraded, the
difference between the 2003, SP1 and XP,SP 2 ADMs are negligible anyway
(see www.gpoguy.com/admdiffs.htm for details).