[gptalk] Re: Temporarily running without a GC ...how to prepare for it.

  • From: "Omar Droubi" <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:58:54 -0700

mark,

Universal group caching is helps out with logons in remote sites that do not
have a GC local.

Your Exchange server does also require a GC and if there is no GC in the AD
site that Exchange is located in-you have will have many issues.

For your users with O2k3 in Cached mode- If they do not have a local GC- the
Exchange server will prompt them for logon and validate that against the DC
exchange is using (check Exchange System manager- server properties-
directory access tab) If the Exchange server does not have a DC in the local
AD site for the particular domain your user's AD account is located in-it
will do a DNS lookup for a DC in the particular domain and pass the
authentication check to that DC.

So in short- as long as the DC's and GC's are functioning in the same AD
site as the E2k3 server the worst thing will happen to your Outlook 2003-
cached users is that they may be prompted for user Id and password. This of
course assumes that DNS resolution and probably DHCP is still functional.
please remember that if there is no local DC- the client will attempt to
connect to a remote DC if the DNS server that this client is using is still
functional.

Most o2k3 cached mode operations involve the local machine and the Exchange
server- If for some reason your user wished to browse the address book and
he/she chooses an address book other than the GAL or the Outlook Address
Book Then the request will go to the GC that Exchange server has in its
directory access list.

Now on a separate note- The GP setting that you are referencing  (cached
logon) I think is misleading- unless I have it mixed up. I believe that
setting is used to set the number of different users that are allowed to
logon to that particular machine using cached credentials if there is no
available dc to authenticate them. This has nothing to do with the registry
setting for the universal group caching.

I would be hesitant to add that key if your organization uses any Universal
Security groups (which may be used for resource access to Exchange Public
folders, etc)

hope that is helpful and makes sense.

Omar

  _____