[gptalk] Re: Registry to ADM

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:40:19 -0700

I just have some general comments on the Reg to ADM utility
... and some on ADMX formats as well.

Use of the very convenient "Reg to ADM" utility does not mean we turn off our
'thinking caps'. It'll do exactly what you ask it to do. It takes "registry"
entries and builds an ADM template for them. What it does NOT do is add any
intelligence to the resulting ADM template.

Sometimes, this is just fine:

Start ==> Set that reg value to "xxxxx" ==> Stop... ==> Save ADM template ==>
Import ADM into a GPO ==> Done!

Really, if that's all you need, go for it. But... if you think you'll need
'any' of the following questions answered, then you've got more work to do:

O  Was the new setting visible in the default GPO Editor interface? If not go
turn that on.
O  What other values "can" the registry value be set to and what is that
behavior? Hmmm...
O  What does this setting actually do (Explain text???)
O  How does this setting behave when Disabling or setting to Not Configured?
(Explain text???)
O  When does the setting engage? Background GPO refresh? User Logoff/logon?
Device shutdown/restart?  (Explain Text???)
O  Does what you are trying to do (call it "xxx") actually require setting
several registry keys (all of which need to be on or have values set in order
for the "xxx" behavior to engage)? Then perhaps you need an ADM template that
sets all the values in a single interface and that'll take some customized ADM
editing work.
O  Say it's six months from now. QuiYou set this up because? (Exaplin text???)

If you just need to turn something on, the utility is great. If you need more
information, then you are going to need to edit the ADM template to add that
information and alter any behaviors manually. Even the upcoming (okay, the "now
released") Group Policy Preference Extension interface aren't going to add any
information like this "for" you. What manually editing (or using ADM template
Editing utilities) does for you is to allow you to add all that additional
information. Personally, I find using an ADM Template Editor utility easier to
work with because I usually already know the registry key I want to work with.
I gather the relevant behavior explanation text. Then I'm able to do all the
editing at once and see what it'll look like in the GPO Edtor interface almost
right away.

Converting to ADMX Format
=========================
There is no particular reason that you "have to" convert an ADM template to the
new ADMX format. The new operating systems read and operate with any custom ADM
templates just fine. I would consider converting an ADM template to the new
ADMX format when I (1) have quite a few settings in the template that would (2)
be used by many different Admins. In that case, I would convert to the new
format and then place a master copy up in the Central Store for access. A good
example would be customized templates for the Windows Terminal Server
environment where quite a few ADM customizations for third-party applications
have been made. That's a great candidate for ADMX conversion and the master
template would be maintained by your WTS/Citrix group.

One last tidbit. As more folks begin to use the new GPMC console
(Vista+SP1+RSAT tolls or the versiojn built-into Windows Server 2008), take
advantage of the new group policy comments fields. Lots of usability right
there!

Jerry