[gptalk] Re: Local Policies on Windows XP

  • From: mikedd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:16:02 -0500 (EST)

I recently experienced a weird problem, I'm hoping someone can shed light
on, and possibily provide a link to a MSKB or whitepaper as I've turned up
nothing so far. I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 environment with Windows
XP SP2.0 clients. Recently users network adapters disappeared from network
connections on the desktop. Connectivity was still present, and IPCONFIG
confirmed IP addressing information obtained. However access to various
tools to check policies failed using admin rights on the box including
GPRESULT, GPEDIT.MSC, and RSOP.MSC. When reviewing the local policy on a
few machines, and event logs noticed that the accounts (specifically the
SERVICE account) under "Impersonate client after authentication" was
changed to a domain account.

When checking the domain GPO's using GPMC received the message of
inconsistency with both of the default policies (Domain
controllers/Default Domain) other two test GPO's were fine which are not
linked to the domain. Clicking okay made them consistent again and
eventually returned the local policies on the desktops back to there
previous state with the correct Impersonation settings.  I'm puzzled how
the two relate, and why only some settings changed?

The Microsoft Article 828760 refers to the inconsistency problem with us
running R2 so not sure why we got the problem also. Article suggests
client side processing problems can occur due to mismatch. Desktop clients
due have the 902400 security patch, which can cause the above as stated in
909400, but these patches have been installed for months without problems
until the inconsistency occurred.

Only other problem occurring around this time was that the forest root
DC's had replication problems, with our DC's being a child domain within
the forest, but can't see the domain GPO's being affected due to this.

Anyone experience this?

TIA

Michael Parkes