[gptalk] Group Policy delegation

  • From: "Tony Murray [HIQ]" <Tony.Murray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:25:22 +1200

Hi all

I'm just in the process of planning Group Policy delegation and could
benefit from your advice about the approach.  I want to delegate
administration of Group Policy to the "Group Policy Admins" role
(actually an AD group).  I may also want more granular delegation in the
future.

As I see it there are three areas where delegation is relevant.

1.            Delegated permission to create GPOs.

2.            Delegation permissions on individual GPOs.

3.            Delegated Group Policy-related permissions on SOMs (OUs,
Domains and Sites).

Taking each of these in turn....

1.            Delegated permission to create GPOs.

This appears to be relatively straightforward.  I simply modify the
Delegation tab on the Group Policy Objects container within the GPMC.
Alternatively I can use the SetGPOCreationPermissions.wsf script sample.

2.            Delegation permissions on individual GPOs.

This is split into two parts:  new GPOs and existing GPOs.

a)      New GPOs.   I can modify the default security descriptor for
groupPolicyContainer objects by following the guidelines in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321476.

b)      Existing GPOs.  I can modify the permissions for all GPOs within
a domain by using the GrantPermissionOnAllGPOs.wsf script sample.

3.            Delegated Group Policy-related permissions on SOMs.

This involves assigning the "Group Policy Admins" group the ability to:

*             Link GPOs to a given site, domain or OU.

*             Perform Group Policy Modelling analysis on a given domain
or OU (but not on a site).

*             Read Group Policy Results data for objects within a given
domain or OU (but not a site).

I can use the SetSOMPermissions.wsf to do this.

That's as far as I have got.  Before I started setting this up in the
lab and testing I thought I would check here to see if I have the
approach right.

Anything I should be doing differently?  Any shortcuts I am missing?
Better ways of setting up the delegation?

Tony

Directory Services MVP (and Group Policy Muppet).

This email or attachment(s) may contain confidential or legally privileged
information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). Any use,
redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message, except as
intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the
sender and remove all copies of the message, including any attachments. Any
views or opinions expressed in this email (unless otherwise stated) may not
represent those of HealthIntelligence (HIQ Ltd).

http://www.healthintelligence.org.nz

(1H_S1)

No Viruses were detected in this message.
HealthIntelligence eMail Filter Service