[gptalk] Re: GPO .msi installation wont uninstall..

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:58:10 +0200

Hi Ray,

Yes, I hang around Darrens list, it is one of the best with some really good
contributors, including Darren who seems to be living in every time zone there
is, since he answers around the clock :)

I'll be more than happy to help you out and also explain how the security
context of Group Policy Software Installation (GPSI) works while at it.

GPSI does not use a special account, rather the context it runs in is the
context of the System, and when it executes user policies it has an additional
token that it can use to change context to the user that the GPOs are being
applied to. Actually the above is true for all Group Policy processing. So
there is no special account involved like some services use for example.

The property that the setting you refer to is ALLUSERS, a property that is used
to control if only the current user that runs the setup should have the package
(set to 0) or all users (then you set it to 1 or 2), but when installing the
CSEs that is redundant since it is installed with the Client Side Extensions
using the Computer part of the GPO. So this means the exact same credentials is
used as when for example a Startup script is used. When accidental orphaning
happens instead of an uninstall, using the startup script is a very efficient
way to remove software that has been pushed out with GPSI.

My theory is that the problem is related to that that you are running versions
3.5.7 and 3.6.0 since we actually just have released 3.2 :) Seriously, since
this cannot be due to the installation context I think the problem IS related
to versioning here, i.e. you could have two versions where one upgrade the
other and then you point to the wrong one with MSIEXEC and there will nothing
to uninstall. But send me an email at the address below my name and I'll make
sure you get the right help you need, I think in this case all we have to do is
figure out the installed version and make sure your script point to it.

Thanks,

Thorbjörn Sjövold
Special Operations Software
www.specopssoft.com
thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/