[gptalk] Re: Finding active users

  • From: jfvanmeter@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:03:07 +0000

The problem I've always had with finding active or enactive user accounts are:

1. Mac users that use Outlook for email, they have a valid user account, but
they may never login, they only authinicated for the purpose of accessing there
mailbox.

2. Service accounts

There are alot of scripts you can write/download to query a DC for user
information.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx?mfr=true
that is only one site, google can really be your friend.

I've never had a large budget so I've always had to do things on a shoe string.
I'm currently covering most of my vbscripts to powershell or hta.

The one thing that has helped me the most is to document any special accounts
so when someone goes looking for inactive accounts they don't delete hundreds
of Mac users or all of my service accounts.

Take Care and Have Fun --John

From: "Ray Lewis" <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Been down this road and tried a few different products myself. The only one
> I found that didn't give me erroneous information was AD Janitor by Specops.
> http://www.specopssoft.com/products/adjanitor/
>

>   _____

--- End Message ---