[gptalk] Re: Custom ADM Issues

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:09:29 -0600

Also, the GpNetworkStartTimeountPolicyValue can be set as a policy
setting so you don't have to tattoo that into the registry (unless you
want to override anything that is currently assigned by policy as
discussed below).

Creating a Group Policy network start timeout policy

The GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue policy timeout can be specified in
the registry in two locations:

*

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Winlogon

*

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

You can do this by adding a DWORD value of
GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue with a number of seconds between 30 and
600.

Windows reads the Winlogon subkey first. Then, Windows reads the
Policies subkey. The value in the Policies subkey supersedes any value
in the Winlogon subkey. There is no user interface that you can use to
set this Group Policy object (GPO). Therefore, you have to deploy a
custom ADM file in order to set the GPO.

The value specified should be of sufficient duration to make sure that
the connection is made. During the timeout period, Windows examines the
connection status every two seconds and continues with system startup as
soon as the connection is confirmed. Therefore, setting the value larger
than the minimum value of 30 is recommended. However, be advised that if
the system is legitimately disconnected, Windows will stall for the
whole timeout period.

Note Examples of the system being legitimately disconnected include the
network cable being disconnected or if the server is offline.

This information is discussed in the MS KB Article 840669, "Group Policy
application fails on a computer that is running Windows 2000, Windows XP
Service Pack 1, or Windows XP Service Pack 2" located here
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840669> .

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax
405.553.5687 | http://www.integrisok.com <http://www.integrisok.com/>