[gptalk] Re: Computer Naming Conventions

  • From: "Brian Cline" <bcline@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:00:11 -0500

3rd party software aside, the best I've been able to come up with is
attaching wireless, electrically charged nodes to an admin's phone or
PDA (seeing as it is usually on his or her hip) and sending through a
friendly "reminder jolt" when AD gets a new computer object with an
inconsistent name. This is one of those things that always bugs me,
especially when I've got a user on the phone that needs remote
assistance.

Seriously, though, a while back I wrote a script that ran every hour and
would check to see if we had any oddly named PCs in the directory. It
would send a list of them in an email to a few admins. Depending on how
many machines you have in your environment, though, this could be a bit
much; we have between 115 and 130 so it isn't that bad.

Brian Cline, Applications Developer
Department of Information Technology
G&P Trucking Company, Inc.
803.936.8595 Direct Line