[gpsbug] Re: WSSC Spring 2010 ad Hoc Race Series

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Ormond, John'" <John.Ormond@xxxxxxx>, "'G.G. Sprock'" <ggsprock@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <windtether@xxxxxxxxx>, <s.butkus1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:19:54 -0400

I got a PHRF rating of 237 for this boat from the p23 website
(http://www.paceship.org/ppp_specs.asp?OwnerID=1661).  I did not find a lot
of these racing, but it looks like it should be pretty fast.  John:  Please
check the size of your Genoa.  It should be no larger than 155% of LP of
overlap.  Long ago and far away, some of these boats raced PHRF and might
have a 170% overlap.  PHRF assumes 155.  If you use a larger jib, I'll have
to adjust your handicap.

By the way, LP is "luff perpendicular"  it is a line drawn from the base of
your mast to the forestay, perpendicular to the forestay.  In other words,
it is a line which would divide your foretriangle into two right triangles.
You can calculate it by based on the J measurement (tack to base of mast) of
9', I(base of mast to top of forestay) of 27'.  The rest would be a great
math excercise for your scouts.  Note that these boats were built in the
early 70's and that a new one cost about $5500.00.  Those were the days.

See ya on the water.