[gpsbug] Re: Race 2 is in the books, Rating Discussion

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geochristian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:12:22 -0400

George,

I think you guys sailed a great race.   And you won regardless of the
handicap correction.  The racing would have been a lot closer. Fact is, I
screwed up the handicap on your boat while I was "tinkering" over the
winter, trying to make things more competitive.  I tried to rewicker the
handicaps based on points but overdid it with your boat.  There is just no
way Southern Yankee should be rated even with the Hunter 30.  Her
theoretical hullspeed is about 20% higher.

Last year, Recovery started at 11:12, and you started at 11:17.  the
difference between your boats was about right then, and I should have kept
about that much space between you.

Both boats are favored in a good breeze.

A apologize for screwing up the rating, and I invite anyone who wants to
challenge their rating to do so.  The best way would be to go ahead and
obtain an official PHRF rating certificate.  Then there would be no
question.

Rebecca J is about the only boat in our fleet that is favored by lighter
stuff, although I think Catalinas have also been know as good boats in light
stuff.  In moderate to heavy stuff, we usually suffer from not having enough
crew weight to keep her in the water, and the heavier boats usually stay
with us.  In real heavy stuff, if we have lots of crew weight and can surf,
we can sail faster than a lot of 35 footers.

A heavy boat has one advantage over a lighter boat....if you can get her
going, she will carry her way better through the lulls.

In light stuff, most boats will benefit by moving weight forward and to
leeward.  This reduces wetted surface and therefore drag, and lets gravity
help shape the sail.

I try to avoid really light air by having our series in the Spring, Fall,
and Winter.

I am glad you are staying with the fleet.  We're having a windy spring and I
hope to see your continued success.