[gpsbug] 2012 Pagan River Challenge

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Allan DeWall'" <adewall@xxxxxxx>, "'Mary Lancaster'" <maryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 12:28:24 -0500

Soon it will be time to start planning for next year.  I think it would be
great if we could continue the tradition of having the Pagan River Challenge
jointly sponsored by WYCC and GPYC, and to schedule it for the weekend
before Memorial Day.  In 2012, that would make it 19 and 20 May.

Spending Sat night at WYCC seems to work great for a lot of boats, but I
suggest we make a couple of changes to the race:

(1)  Keep staggared start, but allow spinnakers (If boats sign up for
spinnaker I will deduct 18 secs/mile from their rating - arbitrary but seems
a reasonable solution when scoring spin and non-spin boats).
(2)  Start a little earlier so we have enough time to raft up at Gatling
Pointe on Sunday afternoon for a brief awards ceremony/adult beverage.
(3)  I'll keep the entry fee the same, and use it for awards.

Note that the weekend following is the Down the Bay race from Annapolis to
Hampton.  I plan to enter "Eclipse" in that race and to cruise up during the
week, possibly stopping at Deltaville and Solomons, with a day or two in
Annapolis.  Would be great if a some more of "our" boats can make this.
There is a cruising division for that race and you might be surprised at how
competitive you can be.  Personally, I like the long races as there is
always the opportunity to be lucky.

Please let me know your thoughts on the PRC, and please keep it in mind as
you plan your year.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

John