[gps-talkusers] Re: what are examples of how latitude and longitude are used?

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 22:52:37 -0700

Mary Ellen,

If you investigate geocaching.com, you will see that all the GPS searches are done by presenting the lat/lon. User's plug that into their units and then get close enough to the cache to figure out the clues also provided with each cache.

In our Sendero events, we use the lat/lon sometimes in the same way. We also just give you a POI file and you find your way to the POIs with a clue as well.

My favorite use of lat/lon is when one of us finds an interesting restaurant or bar. We use a two way radio to communicate the lat/lon of the bar to another GPS user. They plug in the coordinates as their destination, calculate a pedestrian route and then find their way to meet us.

Hi!
What are some examples of how Latitude and Longitude are used in an every day situation? I can see where an airplane pilot would use this but why is this on our gps units?
I am fascinated simply because I would like to come on the geocaching trip in September to Maine and would like to know a little more about how to apply this part of the gps because I have a feeling we just might be given some clues using this branch of the gps.
Thanks.
Mary Ellen Earls
Remember! Today is the Tomorrow you thought about yesterday.