[gps-talkusers] Re: what are examples of how latitude and longitude are used?

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:34:26 -0700

Scott,

Two things to be aware of when using coordinates from the GeoCaching site:

First, make sure you choose the default WGS84 type coordinates. NAD27 is the alternate format.

On the BrailleNote, there are a couple ways to enter the degrees, minutes and seconds. If I am remembering correctly, you should be able to enter the format from the GeoCache site straight into the Control Y lat/lon setting. If you end up in the middle of nowhere, there is probably a decimal point in the wrong place. I believe also we increased the lat/lon entry types in GPS version 3.1. You had fewer options in 3.0. In the 3.0 case, you may have to convert the minutes and seconds.

Hello,
        I tried to find a geo cache and when I had the geo cache site do the
translation, the cordanances put me in the middle if an inter section.  How
do I get the right coordinates for my gps?  I am using the PK with the blue
logger?  I went to the site found the cache that I wanted and click on the
cordances or lat long link and copied them down.  Where did I go wrong?
Scott

-----Original Message----- From: gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Myers Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:20 PM To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: what are examples of how latitude and longitude are used?

Hi, Mary Ellen,
Lat and Lon are used worldwide to umambiguously define positions on the
surface of the Earth.  If you are into geocaching, don't forget that the
datum for almost all geocaching is WGS-84, so make sure your GPS receiver is

set for that or you may find yourself as much as half a mile away from where

you think you are. If all goes well, your GPS should be able to put you
within about 30 feet of your goal.

Dick

From: "meearls" <meearls@xxxxxxx>
To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] what are examples of how latitude and longitude are

used?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:31:25 -0700

Hi!
What are some examples of how Latitude and Longitude are used in an every
day situation? I can see where an airplane pilot would use this but why is
this on our gps units?
I am fascinated simply because I would like to come on the geocaching trip
in September to Maine and would like to know a little more about how to
apply this part of the gps because I have a feeling we just might be given
some clues using this branch of the gps.
Thanks.
Mary Ellen Earls
Remember! Today is the Tomorrow you thought about yesterday.

(8):[(8)