[gps-talkusers] Re: thanks Mike it sounds

  • From: "Richard Bartholomew" <richard_bartholomew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:26:53 +0100

John,

Just a slight word of caution...I bought an Earthmate and, basically, was
very disappointed with the results; so much so that I've gone back to using
my Magellan 310 exclusively!

The conditions in which I primarily use my GPS are urban and, to further
muddy the water, on buses.  I found that the Earthmate took a relatively
long time to pick up a signal in the first place and frequently dropped it.
Once dropped, it seemed to have great difficulty in regaining it again.  In
addition, its accuracy was worse.  Whether this is to do with the GPS being
used in an area far from that in which it was developed and tested and,
hence, presumably picking up different satellites or to do with the fact
that EGNOS is not yet available, I certainly don't know.

As I said, very disappointing especially when considering its neatness and
the rechargeable batteries.  Nevertheless, I've kept the Earthmate as I
intend to try it in other situations to see how it fares.

Therefore, if you do buy one, be careful about setting your expectations and
I hope you gain better results than I did.

Regards

Richard Bartholomew
E-Mail richard_bartholomew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx