[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS mathematics

  • From: Mike Gorse <mgorse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 19:51:58 -0400 (EDT)

I've been developing a little gps app which I have linked off my web page
in source form:
http://mgorse.dhs.org/software/landmark/

I originally intended for it to run under Linux, but it can also be built
under Windows through mingw, although I haven't takent he time to document
the process to create a mingw binary.

Anyway, to get to the point, it has functions to calculate distances and
angles, although I'm not even sure what algorithm it uses to calculate
distances; I only lifted the code from gpsdrive.  It uses simple trig to
calculate angles, trying to compensate for curvature depending on initial
coordinates, although this would be inaccurate for large distances.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --
A better world is possible! http://www.kucinich.us