[gps-talkusers] Re: seeing eye app and routes history

  • From: Chris Grabowski <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:46:57 -0500

Hi,
Just to put things in perspective here. When we designed the history and favorites features for the BrailleNote and Sense Navigation we limited the history list to 25 items. We could've had `100, 1000 or even unlimited history items, but, because of the database it would have slowed the devices down when adding to or viewing the list. However the favorites list doesn't have a limitation. If you want to add 20000 favorites, that would work, but expect lag when pulling up the favorites list. Note: I'm talking about Sendero GPS on the BrailleNote and Sense Navigation on the Braille Sense, not the iPhone.
My point is, sometimes limits are placed for a reason.

Chris

On 3/1/2013 8:45 AM, Michael Malver wrote:
Since even the smallest iDevices have gigabytes of data for storage, and
since gps routes are numbers (i.e. they should be very small in terms of
storage footprint,) I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to have
hundreds of routes, assuming they are saved in such a way that meaningful
labels are attached to them.  There are places I tend to travel only
occasionally whose routes I forget.  If I could store them, then the one or
two times a year I need to go there, I'd be able to bring up what I had done
in the past.
I don't feel artificial limits should be placed on information: whether the
number of bookmarks a notetaker can save when reading files, the number of
routes a gps can save, or the number of articles one stores from news
sources. In the end, when designing applications, the limits of the storage
device should dictate the upper bound of the information available.

And, on an unrelated note, I often used the reverse route feature, so hope
it is included sooner than later.