[gps-talkusers] Re: laptop versus notetaker/PDA

  • From: "Michael May" <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:27:17 -0700

John,

Yes, the PK deffinitely still runs Sendero GPS. And yes, it crashes from
time to time. Not a big deal but if I were buying a device today, I'd get
the OnHand because the PK memory is limited and it is no longer sold new.

Dale,

There are indeed very few people who have purchased a Note or Sense product
over the years just for GPS. Nonetheless, if they want all their apps in a
simple product and interface, then the GPS is certainly a consideration when
buying a notetaker/PDA.

As I write, I have my 15 inch Vaio on my lap with our route to San Jose
running in the background. Works beautifully.

I was really referring to use of the PC GPS on one of the new Windows 8
Tablets like the Microsoft Surface, Lenovo Helix, Toshiba, Dell and others.
In terms of size, they are bigger than a PK but pretty small, in the less
than 2 pounds category. The issue is operating the device. You would have to
have just the right kind of case in order to use it as you walk. I intend on
getting a Surface to see just how this will all play out.

Mike
in