[gps-talkusers] Re: half way to Hawaii

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:53:21 -0700

Mike and others, do the consumer portable GPS receivers (like the Holux) work well at altitude and speed in a comercial flight? I know that Cell phones can work but you have to position them just right in the window and even there it's sketchy because it's not so easy to get a signal in or out of a big metal tube. Texting was the best reliable method at speed, voice was flakey so I'd expect GPS (being in the same frequency neighborhood) would be tricky? Also, do they work at the higher rates of speed? I tried some of this with a US-Globalsat receiver and it was problematic. Cool use of the tool though. Wonder if United will figure it out when a bunch of blind air travelers consistently start winning the prise with your POI.:)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael May" <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>