[gps-talkusers] Re: gps features compared?

  • From: "Baracco, Andrew W" <Andrew.Baracco@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:06:10 -0700

Actually, I know Braillenote and Pacmate owners who have purchased the
Trekker-Maestro because of its small size and portability, and because
they do not want to carry their BN or PM wherever they go.  I have a
Pacmate QX-440 with the 40 cell Braille display, and it is about the
size of a laptop without a screen.  Also, I choose not to use Street
Talk, because I do not feel that it is ready for prime time.  The
current version has a very intimidating install process because you are
installing two programs, the Destinator program, which is an off the
shelf GPS navigation program, and the Street Talk interface.  They are
two programs with two separate licenses.  At this time, the program has
no real pedestrian mode, but I understand that there are tricks that one
can use to obtain information about your current position while walking.
I understand that the upcoming upgrade will combine the install, and
will offer a true pedestrian mode, but, even then it will not be as
powerful as either Sendero or Trekker.
Andy