[gps-talkusers] Re: gps features compared?

  • From: "Mary Ellen Earls" <meearls@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:10:30 -0700

Well I have both Trekker andSendero's gps.
When we get into discussions like this, I always bring up the comparison of trekker being the Chevrolet Malabo a perfect little car for about town gets good highway mileage, an all round family car. Trekker is a good all round gps and when I want to walk and not have to think about doing, I take that machine out. Trekker, I am sad to say, has better maps for me, and has gotten me out of some scrapes which the tellyatlas maps have left me scratching my head in total amazement and in one instance in 2004, had me lost for 2 solid hours. When I got home took trekker out, I discovered all I had to do was cross the street to get into the correct intersection. I take Trekker out when I want automation and just want to know where I am with no particular place I need to go. Ok Now the Sendero GPS is a completely different program. I compare it to a Rolls Royce with the finest appointments, the finest quietest engine and the like. Yes, I can be automated with the Sendero GPS too, and quite frankly, this is my gps of choice _because_ of its versatility. I can program it for intersections or more detailed descriptions of intersections, I can tell it to give me commercial poi's or just those I have created. I can even have it tell me both intersections and those POI's. I could even have it say absolutely nothing if that is how I like it. I think, what I like, is that with the /sendero program you can put it on your Braille Note mpower or pk, this gives you Brail all built in one machine with no external junk to carry with you.
No you can't put your Braille Note in your pocket, but you can your pk.
TheSendero GPS speaks to us in the language in which many of us were trained e. g.north east south west mode. If we get into a parking lot we are told by Trekker we are in "Free mode." I don't know about you, but that induces panic in my brain. Last Saturday, Peg and I got tangled up in one of the biggest lots I had ever seen. Not to worry, I walked one way pushed the heading key and discovered I was headed to the street which ran parallel to the one I needed to be on.
I didn't panic I about faced and off we went and were home in 10 minutes.
Of course, there is the sad fact of budget constraints. You could spend $1500 on trekker and have an excellent system and I daresay, many state programs do this as they do not have the spare change to jingle that they did in days of old. But if you can at all afford a braille Note invest in the Sendero program, it is most definitely a totally empowering experience.
Mary Ellen Earls
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <drum67-72@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>