[gps-talkusers] Re: clarifications

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:59:09 -0400

One advantage, is that in what are called "urban canyons", where
satellites may drop in and out due to temporary blocking of the signal
by buildings, the earthmate claims to continue to track your position
accurately with as few as 2 satellites.

Their reasoning is quite sound, and rather obvious once you think about
it; it goes:  If once we ever get an exact position fix (using 4
satellites), and we drop to 3 (where the altitude is not known), we'll
go on assuming the previous altitude.  If we drop to 2 satellites (which
yields, via a mathematical algorithm, an answer of 2 possible positions
on the surface of the earth), we'll use the one that was closest to the
last known position when we had more satellites.

Otherwise, as Mike as already detailed, it's faster and smaller, and has
no buttons or screen to deal with.  It also has WAAS, which greatly
increases positional accuracy in north america, but evidently the
Magellan 310 does not have this (I didn't know you could still buy a GPS
receiver which didn't have WAAS capability).

(sorry if I'm a little late on this thread, I'm behind in my reading).

Chip

=20