[gps-talkusers] What makes good User POI's?

  • From: "Keith \(mteye\)" <mteye@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:56:51 -0500

From time to time on the list, a request is made to upload user POI's. I've
thought about, but honestly I just don't have very many.

My Poi's run the type of marking the door to my sisters, or my mom's front
door. In the case of my own house, the back yard takes up about a half of a
block. It's around 250 feet mor or less. I set a POI on the back edge to mark
where I take my dog out to do his business. So, does anybody really want to
know where "Macky's Bathroom" is located? I guess if you came to town and got
lost in the middle of the block, it could help keep your shoes clean.

I do have a couple that mark the actual door of a business. For example: for
some unknown reason the map database shows that just two blocks from my house
is a McDonalds. It's really located about five blocks south of there. There's a
church in town, that's been there for around ten years, yet it doesn't appear
anywhere. Neither does the road that leads past it. I marked the point where
the road meets the county road it intersects with, and the doors to both it and
McDonalds.

I had a chance to visit St Louis and put a mark or two for a couple doors
there.

If people think it's important to know where grandma lives, or some of those
things, I'll work on getting my POI's uploaded. I'm not quite a world
traveller, or have too many exciting areas to visit. Well, things that probably
aren't exciting to anybody but me.

What do you think? Let me know.

best regards,

Keith H