[gps-talkusers] TeleAtlas Response to where they obtain their map data

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:01:40 -0700

Hello everyone,

Here is the response I received from TeleAtlas in regards to where they obtain their map data from.

We obtain data in several ways.
Resource people are assigned to different regions and attempt to keep
contact with state , county and local governaments that might have
usable information.

Also we have mapping vans that cover the country to check specific items
we feel cannot be covered well by in-house resources.

And referring to the satellite and aerial data,  we have contracted with
a large digital photo supplier that keeps us referring to recent
photography.

Also customers are invited to submit additions and corrections at our
website.

Of course, in spite of all this information, we must prioritize our
edits and the result is that not all information is ingested immediately
and some areas may not be visited as often as would be desirable.

Regards

Customer Support
Tele Atlas North America
11 Lafayette Street
Lebanon, NH 03766
(800) 331-7881 x4357
(603) 643-0330 x4357
www.teleatlas.com
Find MoreTM

At 09:40 AM 8/27/2007, you wrote:
Hi Steve,
You should submit your request for the area you are in is incorrect.
There is a link to the submissions for on the Sendero Website to report map inaccuracies and I encourage you to do so.
Here is the direct link

http://mapfeedback.teleatlas.com/index.htm

I will forward to TeleAtlas your request on how they obtain their street data and report back.

Charles

At 09:29 AM 8/27/2007, you wrote:
Hopefully, this isn't the third time for this message, but I don't think the
first two made it to the list because I sent them from the wrong identity
duh....

A minor gripe here and a question. My gripe is with Tele-Atlas and not really Sendero. I live just west of the city of Lansing, in Michigan. 42.44.57.4440N
84.35.42.3280W.

The city, like all metro areas, has expanded. I am technically outside the city
in Lansing Charter Township.  Two blocks west of me is Delta Township in a
different county.

However, Tele-Atlas lists this area as "edgemont park," as did the old Atlas
program.  Trekker, which I believe uses NavTech maps, correctly lists it as
Lansing Township.

As I've traveled thoughout the midwest, and noting some other comments on this
list with difficulty finding addresses, I wonder if anything can be done with
Tele-Atlas to correctly list political jurisdictions.  I don't know where, in
this location, Edgemont Park came fron. It is not a governmental entity of any
kind.

Secondly, I could go into a bit of elucidation off-list on this, but how does
Tele-Atlas get their street data?  Reason I ask is in the past, maps were
derived from various sources i.e. census data, developer submissions, and the
like.  The problem that this kind of data possesses is a lot of built-in
inaccuracies. Examples of such might be the street actually not existing i.e. the proposed development never having occurred; the street being located as much
as a quarter-mile off of what the plans stated, and so forth.

It one time, Space Shuttle Endeavor mapped the world using stereo cameras and
radar.  I understand this database is available.  Is Tele-Atlas using this or
does somebody else have the commercial rights to it?

Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

Steve, K8SP

Charles M. La Pierre CTO
Sendero Group, LLC

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W