[gps-talkusers] SHOCK!

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:51:48 +0100

Hi all

This morning I loaded the new patch and the UK POI files.

My wife and I had to go out on business around Reading so I took the GPS with
me just to watch how it is now working. On arriving back home a POI popped up
as we backed into our driveway. The POI name was Bingham, A and the description
was Bingham, A, Medical services, 57 Brunswick Street. Yes my wife runs a
business from the house but there is no reason for it to be a POI as she is a
visiting Chiropodist ()podiatrist for our American FRIENDS). The POI is pretty
accurately positioned being one foot away from where I set the Home user POI.

This raises some interesting questions about where TeleAtlas get their POI data
from. We are in some directories like the local Yellow Pages and Thompson
Directory. However, our phone number is not given which makes either of these
an unlikely source for the data as both are primarily telephone directories.

Steve