[gps-talkusers] Re: the uk files

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:34:12 -0700

Hi Carol, This is great news, glad to see the # of pois more than tripled in your area even though there are some duplicates, some of these may be the entry way into the driveway where the other may be closer to the actual business location, but all in all looks like the data is improving. This is a huge step forward for the folks in the UK where previously the only POI data you would have had is the RMF now "optional" POIs extracted from the maps themselves. Which would mean you would have only had 87 POIs within 2 miles of your house instead of the 1688 you now have, that is over a 1900% increase over what you had in version 3.5!

Hope the rain stops soon for ya!
Take care
Charles.

At 09:20 AM 8/18/2007, you wrote:
Hi Charles and all,
Now got that extra file in.

Observations so far - haven't been outside yet - but:

Before upgrade to 401 I did a POI search for all POIS within 2 miles of my home and came up with 566. After installation of the patch and other POS, but not the final optional ones, I repeated the search and this showed 1601 POIS. I took a look at these and did notice quite a few duplicates even at that stage. (Some repeats appear in slightly different places and at least now there is an extra POI showing to my husband's place of work which appears to be only a few hundred feet from the User POI I made!) After all the extras were installed, I repeated my check and found there were 1688 POIS to be found.

I hope to be able to offer some information to Tele Atlas about those POIS which are out of date as I have already seen one or two shops that no longer have the same function!

Thanks, Charles, and thanks to all for bearing with me and helping with this! (Now I wish it wasn't raining hard and I could go out!)

--
Carol
carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Charles M. La Pierre CTO