[gps-talkusers] Re: Lat / Lon want to know more info

  • From: Joleen Ferguson <cjferg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:48:02 -0700

Hi,

I played with the latitude and longitude numbers for my home and found that they have things pinpointed to a pretty small grid. Of course, this would be largre toward the equater. However, in a general way, how small is the grid? Also, To what level of accuracy does the Holux or any other receiver read this grid? What about WAAS?

Thanks,

Joleen

At 07:44 PM 8/24/2007, you wrote:
The two digit number is the major line (latitude or longitude). There are sixty of these in either lat or lon around the planet. Each six degree slice of the Earth (of which there are sixty) can be broken down further into sixtyiths (minutes the next number) and each of those smaller sections can be broken into sixtyiths (the third number). Some GPS systems and paper maps can give 9 or more digit coordinates. Each new number just breaks the previous section into sixtyiths. Let me know if I have it wrong. That is how it was explained to me in an emergency services class at Civil Air Patrol during search team training.

Have a great day,
Alex