[gps-talkusers] Re: Lat / Lon want to know more info

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:54:58 -0700

Sure thing Christopher.

What this is the geographic coordinate system in WGS84 datum which designates where I live approximately.

Lat stands for Latitude and the numbers that follow represent the Latitude of the location. 37 means 37 degrees, 15' means 15 minutes, and 25" means 25 seconds, where N = North. Lon stand for Longitude and the numbers that follow represent Longitude of the location 121 means 121 degrees, 53' means 53 minutes and 04" means 4 seconds, where W = West

So this Latitude and Longitude can place me at an exact location on the earth, BTW there are Lat/Lons for the moon and for Mars etc. There are also different mathematical representations of the earth and the one Sendero uses is WGS-84 which stands for * The World Geodetic System 1984 The standard coordinate system used by GPS. WGS84 coordinates are usually expressed as latitude, longitude and ellipsoid height ( a measure of altitude). So that Latitude / Longitude pair of values represents where I live which is in San Jose California.

Hope that answered your question, let me know if you need any further clarification of how to convert Degrees Minutes Seconds into Decimal Degrees.

By The Way
37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W
can also be represented in Decimal Degrees as
Lat = 37.256944444 N
Lon = 121.88444444 W

Positive Latitudes means North, Negative Latitudes means South.
Positive Longitudes means East, Negative Longitudes means West.

So that could also be represented by
+37.256944444, -121.88444444

Clear as mud eh?
You asked.
Charles.

At 06:09 PM 8/24/2007, you wrote:
Hello Mike or Charles or anyone else,

I write to ask if someone could explain the different parts of this
and what all this means?

from charles  email footer

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W

Christopher