[gps-talkusers] An answer to a fellow user's question:

  • From: "Mary Ellen Earls" <meearls@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 19:42:51 -0700

Hi!
I believe that one of the subscribers asked this morning, if I found a
difference in sensitivity between the trekker and braille-note gps's.
Ok here is what I did. Part of my walking routine takes me through an enclosure
which houses different entrences to stores in a strip mall. It is not inside a
building, but is the outside entrences facing a parking lot and there is a kind
of decorative wall and a small roof overhead so you get a tunnel effect when
you walk down this passage. My Delorme receiver on the Braille Note gps does
not loose signal at all in this enclosure but the Trekker, I just found out in
the last half hour does.
Does anyone know if Radio Shack still sells the talking pedometer or will I
have to go to a Blindness products supplier for such a device? I think I want
one so I can utilize the trekker because I really like the weight and size of
it.
Mary Ellen Earls.
P. S. I was going to go to a lovely park on our town square which is on an
island in the middle of about 6 streets to see how the trekker's "free mode"
operated but I brought in a zacada on my trekker strap and after I flushed him
down the loo I decided being dive-bombed 3 different times in a space of 1 and
a half minutes by these insipid animals was quite enough. I'll do it after the
parade tomorrow.
Bye for now.
M. E.. E.