[gpodder-devel] structuring podcasts on iPod

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:37:26 +0200

Hello!

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:11 -0400, Andy Busch wrote:
> For that generation, this is expected behavior.  The special "podcast"
> filing was introduced with a firmware update midway though the fourth
> generation (and Photos).

Here are some related links to podcast firmware of 3G iPods:

http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/t-109830.html
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/06/29/ipod-software-updates-adds-a-slew-of-podcasting-features/

I don't know if the current firmware supports podcasts or not, you
should give it a try. I think updating the firmware should be
non-destructive to your music files, but better safe than sorry.

If it doesn't work out, we should write a script that looks into the
iTunesDB and finds all tracks that belong to one podcast and
create/update the corresponding playlists.

Please try updating the firmware first, and if it doesn't work out,
please:

 * Write a FAQ (wiki.gpodder.org/faq) stating that 3G iPods don't
   support Podcasts menu (link to this and your reply in the mailing
   list archive)
 * File a bug at bugs.gpodder.org, also linked to the mails in the
   mailing list archive

We'll try to find a solution then :)