[gpodder-devel] moving to gpodder from another podcatcher

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:22:32 +0100

Hello!

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 02:13:20PM -0600, A. Lester Buck III wrote:
> I was able to redirect my download directory and import a small podcast
> with a few episodes.  (I had to change type="RSS" to type="rss" in
> Ziepod's OPML 1.1 format.)  My question concerns best practice for
> syncing the gPodder metadata with my existing download archive.

I have added support for type="RSS" in gPodder now:

http://gpodder.org/commit/db354a8f42f1

> I noticed gPodder wants to start downloading any episodes it finds in
> the feeds, whether the episode is on disk or not.  Is there any hope I
> can teach gPodder about what episodes are already there?  If I cancel a
> download, I can't play that episode in the in-client player.  Maybe
> there is some kind of resync/fsck function that helps gPodder relearn
> what it has to work with?

You can fill in the data in ~/.config/gpodder/database.sqlite. The table
is called "episodes" and you have to set the "filename" field for the
given episode and make sure that the filename exists in the download
folder for the given podcast. if you come up with a script, please feel
free to share it, as this is a very common use case (but we're lacking
time and resources to implement it, as it's not a main goal of gPodder).

> While I don't want to waste all the bandwidth redownloading episodes,
> the real reason I don't want to redownload is that Ziepod (and other
> clients) mark the episode file with the download date, not the published
> date, so if I am downloading a lot of old episodes, the dates are all
> jumbled.  I use Rockbox, and set the file sorting by date, so I get each
> episode in a folder in the published sequence.  I even have a script
> that will crawl a feed and re-date the episode files to match the
> pubDate, but I'm hoping gPodder will date the files with the pubDate
> from the feed to start with.

It does not set the file date on the files (as this could be bad for
backup apps, etc..), but you can set up the sync filename so that the
publishing date is prepended to the file name, and set Rockbox to sort
by filename.

HTH.