[gpodder-devel] moving to gpodder from another podcatcher

  • From: gpodder-devel-reg at compact.com (A. Lester Buck III)
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:13:20 -0600

Hi,

I have been using Ziepod for a couple of years, and I have 80+GB in my
download archives.  For some reason, Ziepod lost its little mind
overnight.  I have a recent OPML backup, but Ziepod is going crazy as I
try to reload my subscriptions, dumping hundreds of episode references
from other podcasts into one folder.  So it's time to move along to a
podcatcher that is still in active development.  gPodder looks great!

I was able to redirect my download directory and import a small podcast
with a few episodes.  (I had to change type="RSS" to type="rss" in
Ziepod's OPML 1.1 format.)  My question concerns best practice for
syncing the gPodder metadata with my existing download archive.

I noticed gPodder wants to start downloading any episodes it finds in
the feeds, whether the episode is on disk or not.  Is there any hope I
can teach gPodder about what episodes are already there?  If I cancel a
download, I can't play that episode in the in-client player.  Maybe
there is some kind of resync/fsck function that helps gPodder relearn
what it has to work with?

While I don't want to waste all the bandwidth redownloading episodes,
the real reason I don't want to redownload is that Ziepod (and other
clients) mark the episode file with the download date, not the published
date, so if I am downloading a lot of old episodes, the dates are all
jumbled.  I use Rockbox, and set the file sorting by date, so I get each
episode in a folder in the published sequence.  I even have a script
that will crawl a feed and re-date the episode files to match the
pubDate, but I'm hoping gPodder will date the files with the pubDate
from the feed to start with.

Thanks!

Lester