[gpodder] Re: gPodder 3.1 development status update

  • From: Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:32:50 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 09:32:25AM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> On 10 March 2012 08:31, Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:17:02AM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> > > Thomas, you mention that it would probably be best to have sync
> > > functionality as an extension -- are there any docs around about writing
> > > extensions?  Or is it just best to look at the existing extensions?
> >
> > Right now, we don't have any formal docs for writing extensions, but
> > basically it's the same as the old "hooks" mechanism, just with a
> > different name (which will make more sense to non-technical users) and
> > some advanced features (GUI configurability).
> >
> > That's okay, most of it seems pretty straightforward.  The problem I'm
> having at the moment is finding a way of altering the GTK model to include
> an icon showing whether a given podcast is on the device or not.  This is
> easy enough when altering model.py, but at the moment I can't see a neat
> way of doing what I want using extensions.  Do you have any suggestions,
> off the top of your head?

It seems like you're very deep into the details already, and I'm not
sure if that's the right way to approach this. Why do you want to have
icons that show if a given episode is on the device already? You might
not want to micro-manage all episodes, and (apart from making the
implementation more complicated) it also makes the UI look more busy
than necessary.

Have you though about the ideal workflow for doing device
synchronization? What I thought was that we could have context menu
items for the podcast- and episode-list and a global menu item that just
says "sync" or something and does the right thing.

Again, if we want to do this in a way that is pleasant to you and other
users, I think we should look at the big picture and design from there.

HTH :)