[gpodder-devel] Old Icon Theme support (was: Re: new version downloads new episodes, but screen empty)

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 06:23:59 +0200

Hello, Richard!

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 18:15 -0500, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Thomas Perl <thp at perli.net> wrote:
>         Hello, Richard!
>
>         On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 19:52 -0500, richardvoigt at gmail.com
>         wrote:
>         > You probably want to emit an appropriate warning before
>         eating the
>         > exception.  Notably, I had gotten two distinct exceptions
>         while
>         > troubleshooting:
>
>         >From your (very good!) bug report, screenshot and patch, I
>         now suspect
>         that you are probably using an old version of the
>         gnome/hicolor icon
>         theme, which does not yet include the "applications-internet"
>         icon.
>         Because this icon is loaded when gPodder generates the
>         ListStore for the
>         channel list, this could make the channel list not initialize
>         properly.
>
>         Please have a look in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ to find a
>         globe-like
>         icon that looks like the globes on the left side of this
>         screenshot:
>
> I'll take a look when I get back home, but I suspect I haven't an
> older version either.  I use kde, not gnome.

That could also be the reason. Anyway, please have a look which icon
names are available to use as a fallback icon, as I'd rather try to load
other icons instead of displaying no icon at all.

>         http://spock.thpinfo.com/~thp/images/gpodder-richard-voigt.png
>
>         Then, try to replace the "applications-internet" string in the
>         corresponding function with the base name of your globe-like
>         icon. If
>         gPodder works for you now, I can come up with some fallback
>         code to use
>         the old icon name instead of the new one. Just tell me the
>         base name of
>         the icon you've found to be working.
>
> The last patch I sent includes what I believe to be a better fallback
> -- a try/except around the icon loading code.  No matter how many
> secondary icon names you have, someday they will all be missing.  And
> of course, the failover to an alternate icon wouldn't solve the
> problem of cover art with an unrecognized format.

Of course, I'd additionally include the try..except block around the
icon loading code, but as I said above, falling back to a similiar icon
would be another thing I'd like to add to this snippet, as displaying
the globe icon would make the interface look like it should.