[gpodder-devel] Old Icon Theme support (was: Re: new version downloads new episodes, but screen empty)

  • From: richardvoigt at gmail.com (richardvoigt at gmail.com)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 18:15:21 -0500

On 8/7/07, Thomas Perl <thp at perli.net> wrote:

> Hello, Richard!
>
> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 19:52 -0500, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> > You probably want to emit an appropriate warning before eating the
> > exception.  Notably, I had gotten two distinct exceptions while
> > troubleshooting:
>
> >From your (very good!) bug report, screenshot and patch, I now suspect
> that you are probably using an old version of the gnome/hicolor icon
> theme, which does not yet include the "applications-internet" icon.
> Because this icon is loaded when gPodder generates the ListStore for the
> channel list, this could make the channel list not initialize properly.
>
> Please have a look in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ to find a globe-like
> icon that looks like the globes on the left side of this screenshot:

I'll take a look when I get back home, but I suspect I haven't an older
version either.  I use kde, not gnome.

http://spock.thpinfo.com/~thp/images/gpodder-richard-voigt.png

> Then, try to replace the "applications-internet" string in the
> corresponding function with the base name of your globe-like icon. If
> gPodder works for you now, I can come up with some fallback code to use
> the old icon name instead of the new one. Just tell me the base name of
> the icon you've found to be working.

The last patch I sent includes what I believe to be a better fallback -- a
try/except around the icon loading code.  No matter how many secondary icon
names you have, someday they will all be missing.  And of course, the
failover to an alternate icon wouldn't solve the problem of cover art with
an unrecognized format.

> gobject.GError - Icon 'applications-internet' not present in theme

This is what I got first, and worked around by eating the exception from

> gobject.GError - Unrecognized image file format

After doing that, it progressed to another channel, which caused this
error.  That's why I determined to move the try/except around the whole icon
assignment block.

Thanks,