[gpodder-devel] Mmmmm.... sync'ing is out of sync :-))

  • From: wvanrooijen at yahoo.com (Wilfred van Rooijen)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:57:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Thomas,

> Have you recently upgraded your packages?

What packages :-)). gPodder v653 as you've indicated.
Otherwise, I use gentoo and I do update all packages
every couple of days (I seem to remember that an
update to python was compiled recently on my system).

Python:

[ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r9  USE="berkdb
gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline ssl -bootstrap -build -doc
-examples -nocxx -nothreads -tk -ucs2" 0 kB

pygtk:

[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtk-2.12.0  USE="opengl
-doc -examples" 2,105 kB

> Which versions of gPodder's dependency packages have
> you got installed?

Which packages are those? IIRC, gpodder ran almost
straight from SVN, I only installed one extra python
module and have never touched that one again.

> Have you been successfully using the sync feature
> before?

Yes, never had any problem until now.

> When did this bug start to happen? Did you do
> anything special?

Yesterday after running 'svn up' in de gpodder dir. I
didn't do anything special as far as I can tell.

> Does it only affect the sync modules or also other
> parts of gPodder?

It seems to only happen on sync, and then it seems
more likely to happen if I sync more than 1 file at a
time. I've tested a bit today. Sync'ing just 1 file at
a time is more stable (i.e. causes less frequent
freezes) than sync'ing more than 1 file at a time.
Sync'ing more than 1 at a time fails more often than
not.

> If it only happens on sync, does it happen with both
> iPod and MP3 player
> sync?

I always sync to an file-based MP3 player (it is an
ipod, but running rockbox - it's just an external
hard-drive for gpodder).

Until now I've never had any issues with the sync in
gpodder. The error message 'Xlib ...' seems so cryptic
to me that I suspect it doesn't come from gpodder
itself but rather from somewhere deep within either
python or pygtk.

Cheers,
Wilfred

> Thanks,