[gpodder-devel] Mmmmm.... sync'ing is out of sync :-))

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 00:12:48 +0200

Hello, Wilfred!

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 10:57 -0700, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:
> > Have you recently upgraded your packages?
>
> What packages :-)). gPodder v653 as you've indicated.
> Otherwise, I use gentoo and I do update all packages
> every couple of days (I seem to remember that an
> update to python was compiled recently on my system).
>
> Python:
>
> [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r9  USE="berkdb
> gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline ssl -bootstrap -build -doc
> -examples -nocxx -nothreads -tk -ucs2" 0 kB

Maybe you can install python2.5 and use Python 2.5 for gPodder? It
should work with python2.4, and I don't know if it makes any difference,
but you could try (I'm using Python 2.5 here, for example).

> pygtk:
>
> [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtk-2.12.0  USE="opengl
> -doc -examples" 2,105 kB

Should be recent enough.

> > Have you been successfully using the sync feature
> > before?
>
> Yes, never had any problem until now.
>

> > When did this bug start to happen? Did you do
> > anything special?
>
> Yesterday after running 'svn up' in de gpodder dir. I
> didn't do anything special as far as I can tell.

Yeah, and you said when reverting to the version before the Maemo
changes you also see the same problems?

> > Does it only affect the sync modules or also other
> > parts of gPodder?
>
> It seems to only happen on sync, and then it seems
> more likely to happen if I sync more than 1 file at a
> time. I've tested a bit today. Sync'ing just 1 file at
> a time is more stable (i.e. causes less frequent
> freezes) than sync'ing more than 1 file at a time.
> Sync'ing more than 1 at a time fails more often than
> not.
>

> > If it only happens on sync, does it happen with both
> > iPod and MP3 player
> > sync?
>
> I always sync to an file-based MP3 player (it is an
> ipod, but running rockbox - it's just an external
> hard-drive for gpodder).
>
> Until now I've never had any issues with the sync in
> gpodder. The error message 'Xlib ...' seems so cryptic
> to me that I suspect it doesn't come from gpodder
> itself but rather from somewhere deep within either
> python or pygtk.

Please apply the enclosed patch to your SVN checkout (it disables the UI
status updates to the sync dialog) and try to reproduce the bug. I
suspect that maybe the faster UI updates in the MP3 player sync code