[gpodder] Re: Google Summer of Code 2013

  • From: Jakob Gruber <jakob.gruber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:44:06 +0100

On 03/16/2013 09:15 PM, Stefan Kögl wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Jakob Gruber <jakob.gruber@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> before thinking about new functionality for Detlef, there are a couple of
>> fairly major tasks required to get the code and architecture into decent
>> shape (so I'm not sure if you really want to turn some poor unsuspecting
>> student loose on it).
>>
>> The refactoring tasks are mentioned in the TODO file (in the repo root),
>> others in the github issues. Probably the most pressing task right now
>> would be to decouple the database actions from the rest of the application,
>> and allow for things such as doing bulk inserts (instead of inserting all
>> episodes one-by-one).
>>

> As I'm not familiar with Android development I can't really judge how
> urgent those refactoring tasks are needed. Do you think it would be
> possible to isolate certain tasks as a GSoC project idea, possibly in
> combination with some new features?

Well, the current DB-centric architecture causes noticeable performance
loss for fairly normal data sets (10's of podcasts, 100's of episodes),
since every object is updated one at-a-time, and every update triggers
callbacks into the GUI code.

A couple of refactoring tasks have already been mentioned; personally, I
have no plans for new features, so I can't really comment on that.