[gpodder-devel] 0.14 web services cool feature!

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 04:32:48 -0700

You wrote:
> I just can see that list actually being worth something to somebody
> some day, and figured it might be a good idea to make sure it's stated

Yep, I hope that the list is actually something worth to the users that
will someday get the current "Top podcasts" list (that uses the
PodcastAlley
top podcast OPML) replaced with a community-based top podcasts list.

That said, as soon as I rewrite the (currently messy) codebase that is
the webservice, I'm going to publish it under an open license, so users
should still be able to run their own "my.gpodder.org" server or put up
an alternative server in case I turn evil.

Still, for the current main use case (having a community-based top
podcasts
list), it's best to stay at the my.gpodder.org service, because we take
the
subscriber count from that data. If you want to just install a copy on
your
server to sync your (private) podcast list between many machines, you
should
be able to do so as soon as the code is cleaned up and released.

After that, it's also possible to take feature additions from the
community,
because the my.gpodder.org is open source then.

Just have to look at the licenses. Maybe something like the Laconi.ca
license
is a good thing for webservices, have to read through that first,
though...

> somewhere that 'your contributed list will only be available in the
> aggregate without identifing information unless you have the account
> username and password' or whatever....

Well, the list is only uploaded if an user account exists. Having an
account
is a prerequisite for uploading a list (this way, we won't get some
"evil
spammer" to upload fake subscription lists to push some podcast on top
of the list). And for the aggregate, we just display podcasts, anyway.

If you want to help out with all that "paperwork", I'd be glad to have
some
help here!