[goodfeel] Re: question from a brand-new Goodfeel user

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 18:16:44 -0400

Hi, Greg,

For us blind musicians, GOODFEEL helps us to accomplish two important tasks
independently: reading music and writing music.  I know from our
conversations that your priority is to use the GOODFEEL suite of software to
learn your trumpet parts for the OSU marching band and not so much to
actually compose or arrange music yourself.

For your sighted assistant, the software allows him to prepare scores for
you to study without having to be a braille music transcriber himself.  That
is, he can learn to scan and edit print scores with the SharpEye Music
Reader and Lime notation software included.  Once he is satisfied that what
he sees on the screen in Lime agrees with the original score, he simply
chooses the ?Launch GOODFEEL? item from Lime?s File menu.  Lime passes the
score information to GOODFEEL which automatically converts it to the
equivalent braille music.

At that point, you have a number of options for studying the piece.
GOODFEEL can send the braille to your embosser to create a hardcopy score
for you to study in the traditional manner.  But you also have the option to
listen to the PC play the piece back for you at any tempo using the Lime
software.  You can read your hardcopy score while listening as an aid to
memorization.

You also can move through the piece note by note.  JAWS gives you a verbal
description of each note including its name, octave, and duration plus any
other attributes or related annotations such as staccato or a dynamic
marking like MP.

The first thing we recommend to new users of GOODFEEL who use JAWS is to
read the Lime Aloud guide.  This document is written in the form of a web
page so you can use the standard JAWS navigation keys to skim through it.
For example, press H or SHIFT+H to move between section headers.

You will find a shortcut to the Lime Aloud Guide under Start Menu | Lime |
Lime Aloud Guide.  Or, while you are in Lime?s main window, hold down the
INSERT key and then press F1 twice quickly.  Wait about 20 seconds and the
Lime Aloud Guide should open for you in a new window.  Now you can press
ALT+TAB to move between the text of the guide and Lime.

Both you and your assistant will want to read the brief overview of the
process of scanning, editing and transcribing music which you can access
from the shortcut under Lime called ?Creating Braille Music Overview.?  As I
think you know, scanning scores is not the only option for entering pieces
into Lime.  If your assistant uses Finale 2005 or later, he can export
pieces from Finale in the form of  MusicXML.  Lime can import the MusicXML
and GOODFEEL can subsequently transcribe it to braille.  And it is possible
to enter notes directly into Lime by typing on the PC keyboard or playing
them in using an electronic musical keyboard.

My thanks to James and Claudio for their helpful comments.  As James pointed
out, you can use any braille editor to review and even customize the braille
score which GOODFEEL creates.  The default editor is called Braille View.
As the name implies, Braille View is more of a viewer than an editor but,
provided you know what you are doing, you can alter the score using Braille
View.  However, if the Lime file was properly prepared, you really should
rarely if ever need to change anything in the braille score.

I know that most of you already know that the GOODFEEL suite of software is
completely self-contained but, for the benefit of those who are new to
GOODFEEL, I want to emphasize that there is no requirement to use Duxbury or
any other literary translator in tandem with GOODFEEL.  GOODFEEL does have a
useful grade 2 translator for English and can transcribe all kinds of text
such as titles, lyrics, tempo indications, etc.  We also provide
initialization files that configure GOODFEEL to properly braille non-English
languages in uncontracted braille with the correct accented letters and
punctuation.  For example, the accented o in the Spanish word adiós can be
written with the dot 4 prefix in English or, if you have loaded the Español
initialization file, GOODFEEL transcribes the accented O using dots 3-4-6.

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com