[goodfeel] Re: incomplete bars, page formatting and d.c. al fine markings

  • From: "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:56:21 -0400

Dear Ioana,

These are good questions and I imagine others will benefit from the answers
below.

Question 1. it starts on a... don't know the English theoretical term but it
is just 1 eighth up beat and at the end the last bar is missing 1 eighth to
make up for the incomplete bar in the beginning How does one do that in lime
without getting errors?

The technical musical term in English for what you describe is anacrusis or,
more commonly, a pick-up measure.  See GOODFEEL manual: Page 38.  Also, see
the Lime 9 manual, Page 73, for notes on inserting measures.

To insert the pick-up measure, you must first determine its length relative
to the starting time signature.  That is, if the pick-up measure should show
an eighth-note and the time signature is 4-4, you must insert a single
measure of 1-8 time.  1. Move to the start of the piece.

2.  CONTROL+I to open the Insert Measures dialog.

3.  Enter 1 in "Number of Measures".

4.  Enter 1 in Beats per Measure.

5.  Enter 8 in Beat Value Indicator.

6.  Press ENTER to close the dialog.

7.  Pres 7 on the numpad to move back to the start of the measure you have
just inserted.

8.  ALT+E, O to open the Options dialog where you enter 0 in the Start Bar
Numbers field.

You must also use the process above to create the corresponding measure at
the end of the piece or the section that has fewer beats than the current
time signature requires.  In this case, you would need to insert a measure
of 7-8 time.

If the piece continues after that with another incomplete measure for a new
pick-up, you must insert that new measure of 1-8 time.  Be sure to place the
proper kind of double bar after the 7-8 measure.  If the piece ends there,
it should be a thick ending double bar.  If it continues after that measure,
it should be a thin double bar (also sometimes called a light double bar).
Use CONTROL+B to open the bar line dialog.  Tab past the OK button in that
dialog to find the list of bar line types.  If this incomplete measure is
the final measure, choose the option to place the bar line at the end of the
current system.

If the piece continues, you must insert the next pick-up measure and then
follow this procedure:

1.  Move to the start of the new pick-up measure.

2.  Press CONTROL+B and press TAB or SHIFT+TAB to reach the check box that
says "Don't' count this bar in bar numbering" and check it.

Question 2. Also how do you insert da capo al fine markings or dal segno1 al
segno2?

Use Annotations | Text Assistant | Other (ALT+A, X, O).  Tab twice from the
OK button to the list of symbols you can insert.

See GOODFEEL manual, Page 61, for important details.  As it says there, you
use Annotations | Text Category, Other to insert text annotations such as
"Da capo al fine", etc.  Shortcut keys are ALT+A, T, O.

Question 3. My student told me that it printed the piece on 2 pages for no
reason. How could I change the number of lines printed on a page?

Move to the start of your piece and pres CONTROL+U to open Lime's Systems
dialog.

Lime may ask you if you want to save your piece first.  That is usually a
good idea.

Generally, you can accept Lime's suggestions and just press TAB until you
reach the OK button.  Albert from Dancing Dots and others may want to add
their own comments here but I believe that Lime tries to calculate the best
values for systems per page and number of pages needed by following the
procedure above.

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann